Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Adjusting to the reality of cancer


Perhaps the most difficult thing about adjusting to a new reality is not knowing what the new reality is.
You may recall this comment from my last blog. I was talking about the fact that it took over three weeks of tests and consultations to get a better picture of what we were facing. So at the start, we did not know whether Gail would make it to Christmas. How does one cope with this sort of uncertainty? We knew our lives would be radically changed. But how would they be changed?

As a brief aside, my experience has many parallels to that of most Zimbabweans. We know that with the theft of the recent elections our reality has changed, but we have no idea what that reality will look like tomorrow, next week or next month.

Let us return to my testimony. I woke up the day after the news, and in reality, nothing had changed. Gail was functioning as she had done every morning for years. The children were with us at the breakfast table – as they had been every morning for years. It was business as usual. We had each other. We had ... today. Yes that was it, we had today, and we had each other.

At that point, it occurred to me that today is our only reality. Tomorrow is not reality. Tomorrow may never come. Further, my perception of tomorrow is an illusion. Tomorrow does not exist as my mind imagines it, for tomorrow will always be different to what I expect. But today is today. I live in the present moment of today, not in the past or in the future.

My wife could be taken from me, but what guarantee is there that I will be alive tomorrow – or both my children – or all my loved ones? Life is not safe. Jesus never said that it would be. Things can change in an instant and tomorrow may never come; therefore, loving God and loving others in the present moment is of infinite value. If it is important to hug my wife, let me do it today ... right away in fact! If it is important to complement my son, what am I waiting for! And why should I allow tomorrow to rob me of today? Tomorrow does not exist. But today does.

For these reasons, I could see that “today” was a precious gift and something that needed to be unwrapped with joy. But how could I make sure that nothing would spoil the gift?

Since the news broke about Gail’s cancer, I have noticed that the biggest spoiler of my today is fear of tomorrow. So when I began to fret about the severity of the cancer – something that might only be defined in a week’s time from the results of further tests– I would strangle the life out of those thoughts with focus on the present. I would ask myself, “what is the next step we need to take towards healing and wholeness for Gail?”, and then I would focus on taking that step. Or I would ask God, “What thing of importance and value do you want me to do now?” On occasion it was having coffee with Gail, enjoying the sounds of birdsong and the warmth of the sun. Sometimes it was holding hands in a doctor’s waiting room.

By seeking to honour God in the present, I was placing my trust in Him and putting Him in charge rather than fear.

Further, God reminded me repeatedly that whatever I chose to do with the gift of the present, it had to be motivated by love. Harshness and frustration are incubated in the womb of fear. And fear grows in the absence of trust. I so desperately did not want fear and stress to shape my decisions and the way I treated those close to me. Think about it. If today might be the last one you spend with your loved ones, why would you want to mess it up by treating them harshly? In this regard, God has been and continues to be faithful. His strength is perfected in my weakness.

So I have been reminded that love and making the present moment count for God is impossible with fear or worry at the controls. That is why God highlighted Psalm 84 and especially verse 11 in such an emphatic way (see my last blog). God is dependable and worthy of trust. He has my back. He is my sun and my shield. He shines the light of life and guidance. He provides. He protects. This is His responsibility and delight. My responsibility and delight is to trust Him. And what greater expression of trust could there be than loving and make the present moment count for God? I have my bad days I must admit. But I am a work in progress, and God is on my side. What a relief!

Cheers for now - Ian

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about cancer in your family, I didn't know. But this truth is exactly what has pulled me out of the mire of living in dread. We have today. There is joy in today, and a precious gift. Each day we make a decision to make memories, deal lovingly and not let fear of tomorrow steal the gift of today. What a wonderfully helpful piece of advice Jesus gave us - to not worry about tomorrow. Praying for you & your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou for such a refreshingly honest and heart-rending post. I can't imagine what you guys must be facing but i really appreciate how you are walking closely with the Lord on this one, trusting him from one "today" to the next. I was reminded of Matthew 6:34 where Jesus encouraged us with these words: "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."

    ReplyDelete